A blog by Bill Hess

Running Dog Publications

Support Logbook
Index - by category
Blog Index
The journal that this archive was targeting has been deleted. Please update your configuration.
« This blog is about to drive off into unknown territory - could charge off a cliff and disappear for awhile | Main | The Daily School Bus: Okay, I believe I have just about got it »

Icy roads, an unexpected drive to Anchorage with vehicles overturning and a tech I cannot reach mean my new blog cannot launch before tomorrow

No schoolbuses prowled the streets of Wasilla or Anchorage today. We have experiened a spectacular warm-up, with temperatures out here climbing from the -20 F range to 30 above. The warmth brought rain. The rain froze. The roads became icy and dangerous. School was canceled. Lavina had planned to bring Margie home this afternoon and I was glad. I have much to do before we leave for Arizona Saturday night and I especially wanted to get this new Squarespace 6 blog up and running. I was very close, but had a few other things to do first. Just as I was about to turn my attention to Squarespace 6, Margie called. Lavina did not feel comfortable to drive the icy roads – especially since they would've had to bring Kalib and Lynxton along for the ride.

Margie wanted me to come and get her. She has much to do as well. I wanted to stay put and get these things done, but I could not leave my wife stranded in Anchorage. And, to be honest, given the conditions, if she had to come I did not want any one but me to drive her and I did not want Lynxton and Kalib on the road.

It was a scary drive - vehicles sliding off the road all over the place, a few overturning. According to the news, 90 vehicles wound up "in distress" and there were 45 accidents, several involving injuries, but no reports of deaths. The news reports say nothing of serious or critical injuries – just injuries. I do not know what the outcome was here on the Glenn Highway in front of Eagle River as I drove in.

It took hours to get back home. I was frazzled. I had to take a break. Finally, I turned my attention to Squarespace 6. I got so close, but encountered a strange appearance problem I could not solve without the tech's help. I am glad he is helping me, but he can take hours and hours and hours and hours and hours to respond. I posed the question to him hours ago, but I doubt I will hear from him before tomorrow and it is after midnight now, so my blog is not going up tonight. Consider this a preview of what will be in it tomorrow, as I intend to make the first post a multiple picture post, focused on my trip over icy roads to town and back on the day that Nelson Mandela died.

It will be old news by tomorrow, but still I will post it.

Reader Comments (1)

Glad you made it safely.

December 6, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterLittle Sister

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>